ASHTABULA COUNTY —
• A rental property owner reported the theft of appliances and a hot tub/spa from a Creamer Road, Kingsville Township, property.
According to the report from the Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department, the landlord evicted the renters through the court system and, upon inspecting the property, discovered that the stove, refrigerator, washer, dryer, hot tub/spa, windows and screens were missing. Total loss was estimated at $9,300.
The report was forwarded to the grand jury for review.
• Two juveniles, ages 14 and 16, face charges in connection with the theft of items from the men’s locker room at Lakeside High School on Thursday, according to a report.
An iPhone with GPS was among the items stolen. Using the tracking feature of the phone, it was tracked to a Carso Avenue address and the two females who are suspects in the theft. School surveillance camera images were also used in the investigation.
• The theft of track and field timing equipment from SPIRE Institute in Harpersfield Township was reported to the department.
The theft occurred earlier this year; the suspect is a timing official who sold the equipment to a dealer, who in turn attempted to sell it to another dealer who checked the serial numbers of the equipment and notified SPIRE.
Value of the equipment was set at more than $20,000, according the report. The suspect’s last known address was in Florida.
• A 31-year-old Niles woman faces charges of resisting arrest, possessing criminal tools and petty theft in connection with a shop-lifting effort involving four suspects and several stores at the Ashtabula Towne Square. The incident occurred Sunday, according to the report.
The woman was chased across the mall parking lot by a deputy after she exited the store and was approached about the contents of her bag. The foot chase ended with the deputy tackling her to the ground and hand cuffing the suspect, according to reports.
Video games and DVDs worth more than $400 were found in the bag that she dropped during the chase.
A 26-year-old woman from Warren also was arrested for petty theft, as was a 32-year-old Niles man, as they tried to exit a store with stolen items.
A 39-year-old Mineral Ridge woman was outside the mall and had items in bags that the other two female suspects had allegedly lifted from two other stores in the mall. She was charged with receiving stolen property, according to the report.
Syringes and a spoon with heroin residue were found in a car associated with the quartet. One of the female suspects told a deputy that they sole the items and exchanged them for refunds/gift cards that they could support their narcotics habit.
• A Yamaha four-wheeler worth $3,500 was reported stolen from a Williamsfield Township garage Sunday.
• Three commercial batteries taken from an Ashtabula Township business were later recovered at a recycling center, according to a report. The center provided the suspect’s identity to the department, which is following up on the lead.