Nearly one-fourth of eligible voters participated in Tuesday’s special election, motivated perhaps by school levies that dominated the ballot.
Some 24.4 percent of voters in the 81 precincts impacted by the election had a say in the outcome, according to Ashtabula County Board of Elections data. Some 39,880 voters are registered in those districts, and 9,729 of them cast a ballot.
“Turnout was a little higher than we thought for a special election,” said Duane Feher, deputy director. “There was a lot of interest.”
Four issues comprised the election, and three of them — school levies in the Ashtabula, Jefferson and Geneva districts — were easily defeated. A .5-mill income tax increase in Geneva-on-the-Lake was approved by an unofficial 20 votes.
More than 80 provisional ballots still need to be added to the tally. The election board must certify the results by Aug. 28. Another meeting is likely to authorize the issues that will be part of the Nov. 6 general election.
The special election cost an estimated $65,000 to stage, an expense that will be borne by the four entities that sponsored issues. The exact cost will be pinned down, Feher said.
Meanwhile, Wednesday marked the deadline to place an issue on the fall general election ballot. Nearly four dozen issues are ahead, including money issues from three school districts. Here are the issues that are ahead:
- Andover Township (excluding Andover Village) — three-year 1.5-mill renewal (fire/emergency medical services); five-year 2-mill renewal (roads/bridges)
- Andover Village — one-year 0.3-mill renewal (fire protection); one-year 1.2-mill renewal (fire protection); one-year 2-mill renewal (ambulance/EMS); five-year 1.46-mill (current operating expenses)
- Ashtabula Area City Schools — five-year 6.4-mill additional (emergency requirements)
- Ashtabula Township (excluding Ashtabula City) — five-year 0.5-mill renewal (road/bridges); five-year 1-mill new levy (fire/EMS)
- Ashtabula Township Park District — five-year 0.5-mill renewal (current operating expenses)
- Austinburg Township — five-year 2-mill renewal (roads/bridges)
- Colebrook Township — five-year 1.5-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Conneaut — six charter amendments; 10-year 2.75-mill additional (streets/roads/bridges)
- Geneva Township (excluding Geneva City and Geneva-on-the-Lake) — five-year 2-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Geneva-on-the-Lake — four-year 2-mill replacement (roads/bridges)
- Grand Valley Local School District — five-year 4.9 mill additional (emergency requirements)
- Hartsgrove Township — five-year 2.4-mill replacement (fire/EMS)
- Jefferson Area Local Schools — five-year 2-mill renewal (current expenses); five-year 4.5-mill renewal (current expenses)
- Jefferson Emergency Rescue District — five-year 3.5-mill renewal (ambulance/EMS)
- Jefferson Township (excluding Jefferson Village) — five-year 2-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Jefferson — referendum on purchase of elementary school
- Kingsville Township — five-year 0.5-mill renewal (cemeteries)
- Lenox Township — five-year 1.5-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Morgan Township (including Rock Creek and Roaming Shores) — four-year 2.5-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- North Kingsville — four-year 1-mill renewal (EMS); five-year 1-mill renewal (police services)
- Orwell Township (excluding Orwell village) — five-year 1.5-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Plymouth Township — five-year 1.5-mill renewal (roads/bridges)
- Richmond Township — five-year 1.5-mill renewal (fire/EMS)
- Roaming Shores — three-year 3-mill renewal (police protection)
- Rock Creek — five-year 0.96-mill renewal (current operating expenses); five-year 1-mill renewal (current operating expenses)
- Sheffield Township — five-year 2-mill replacement (fire/EMS); five-year 1.5-mill replacement (roads/bridges)
- Trumbull Township — five-year 3-mill renewal (roads/bridges); handful of township residents will also vote on Ledgemont School District levy
- Harpersfield Township 2 — Liquor option (Kosicek Vineyards), Sunday sales
- Rome Township — Liquor option (McGinty’s Irish Pub), Sunday sales
- Williamsfield Township 2 — Liquor option (Hills Country Store), Sunday sales/sales